Regular maintenance of your home is key. A regular schedule of seasonal maintenance can put a stop to the most common – and costly – problems before they occur. While most maintenance is year round, here are a few important tasks to take care of this fall:
• Have your furnace or heating system serviced by a qualified service company;
• Lubricate circulating pump and bleed air from hot water heating systems;
• Check chimneys for obstructions such as nests;
• Check condition and clean ducting, clean or replace filters on your furnace, HRV or forced air systems regularly;
• Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors & replace batteries;
• Remove screens from windows to allow air from heating system to keep condensation off glass and let in more solar energy;
• Ensure windows, skylights and doors close tightly, replace weather stripping where necessary;
• Clean leaves from eaves troughs and roof, test downspouts to ensure proper drainage;
• Drain and store outdoor hoses, close valves to exterior faucets;
• Winterize landscaping, store outdoor furniture, prepare gardens and young trees and shrubs for winter.
These are just a few of the regular maintenance tasks you can do to help keep your home a safe and healthy place to live. Visit the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s website at www.cmhc.ca for more tips on protecting your investment.